Google
Web My thoughts...on stuff
Friday, August 03, 2007
My thoughts on...the final Harry Potter book
As all of civilization knows, Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows, the seventh and final of the series, was released little over three weeks ago. It got a release worthy of a Hollywood movie, and sold a record breaking 8.3 million copies in the U.S. in its first 24 hours of release and 72 million worldwide. All that, despite fundies protesting that Harry is the spawn of Satan and will sodomize their children with his wand. Enough already! Potter ain't evil! In fact, saying that Harry Potter is evil is the same as saying Bewitched and The Fairly Oddparents are evil. Check this post for more of my thoughts on this.

I've also noticed something very peculiar. Welcome, but peculiar. Kids are actually reading again! Seriously! I never thought this generation would ever be able to get their eyes off their monitors. But Potter's bringing sexy reading back! Kids are begging their parents to get these books, and jump for joy when they get them, as if they were getting a hot new toy. When I was young and I got a book, I thought, "cheapskates." But not anymore. J.K. Rowling must be pretty happy. With Deathly Hallows out and Order of the Phoenix in theatres now, she can roll around buck naked in her pile of muggle money. A pleasant thought indeed (she is kinda hot).

I feel a sense of finality (and a little sadness) with the end of the series. Though I'm hesitant to admit it, I am a Potter fan. At the beginning of The Sorcerer's Stone movie, I was like "what the hell is this?" By the end, I was intrigued. It's hard not to get sucked into the world of Harry Potter. The characters are well developed (Hermoine pun not intended). Many of them grow during the series, with interesting backstories behind them all. Few of them morally ambiguous, especially Professor Snape. The plot is
captivating and well thought out, with surprises on every page. And with Deathly Hallows, all the plot holes are taken care of. It's a small wonder why Rowling and brainchild are so successful (and not because of some secret pact with Satan to corrupt the youth of the world). Goodbye Harry, and thanks for adding a little magic to this bleak world.
Posted by Leon @ 4:38 PM
Permalink | Audiolink | |
| 9 Comments |
9 Comments:
  • Comment by
    Maritza
    @ 5:57 PM
    body
    You hit the nail squarely on the head! H Potter books are intelligently written, she doesn't dumb anything down for children, doesn't go for cheap tricks. The Potter series are good, classic plots that happen to be set in a fantasy world. Stupid fundies.

  • Comment by
    Jamaipanese
    @ 9:21 PM
    body
    that fundies link is hilarious

  • Comment by
    Stunner
    @ 11:04 AM
    body
    I'm not a Harry Potter fan, I haven't even watched any of the movies. I am just not interested in obeah working kids! lol!

  • Comment by
    Ricardo
    @ 11:32 PM
    body
    Leon, I totally missed the boat with this series but I know so many people love it. And you're right, it got kids reading again. That is an incredible feat in and of itself.

  • Comment by
    Abeni
    @ 5:43 AM
    body
    yet to read one or watch a movie.One day I will try capture the magic

  • Comment by
    Mighty Afroditee
    @ 7:52 PM
    body
    The Harry Potter blockade can also extend to Mary Poppins and the classical Bedknobs and Broomsticks. Not quite a fan of HP (book or movie), but I did love what the series did for reading, and am in awe at the fact Rowlings is now a billionaire. Lawd! All this from people reading! There is hope yet for you to get your massive Google check ; )

  • Comment by
    owen
    @ 1:03 PM
    body
    I never really got the whole harry potter fad :|

  • Comment by
    Chief Lymer
    @ 2:52 PM
    body
    I agree it was a very good book - in fact I think this last oneis the best. I am quite sorry it is all over - the books are extremely well written. I cannot though understand how kids can be so into them! I swear they seem like adult books to me. They're as thrilling as Ludlum to me. Being 35 and into them I get a lot of shtick from some of my co-workers but I don't care. It's rarely you get to read something of such high wuality. Look forward to her new stuff.

  • Comment by
    ash
    @ 12:38 AM
    body
    harry potter is a wonderful story. but i haven't watch the final book. =)

Post a Comment
<< Home

ABOUT ME
ARCHIVES
RECENT COMMENTS
RECENT READERS
EMAIL SUBSCRIPTION
Get new posts sent directly to your inbox!

LINKS
A FEW GOOD BLOGS
SYNDICATION

BOOKMARKING



BUTTONS






WEBRINGS
< ? cariblogrs # >
? zz ZARDOZZ #
CREDITS






Template translated by Stephen Paul Weber a.k.a. Singpolyma