Google
Web My thoughts...on stuff
Friday, July 13, 2007
My thoughts on...E3 '07
Videogames. They defined my childhood as much as Power Rangers and stuck 'n' pull (tag for the Americans out there). So naturally E3 couldn't miss me. But this year's E3 was much different from the ones before it. It was a greatly scaled down version. And when I say scaled down, I mean scaled down. The entire event could hold in last year's Sony booth. No shwag (geek lingo for free promotional stuff), no booth babes (damnit!), no noise, no big displays and no big crowds, as it was invitation only. It was basically a press conference for games. Normally I'd watch E3 non-stop, my eyes glued to the screen. But this year I could barely muster the interest to watch it for 15 minutes straight. They just took the fun out of it. As much of a gamer as I am, I can watch people talk about cellshading, realistic lighting, enhanced AI and using these minor improvements to justify the ridiculous price of their games.

Oh, and did I fail to mention the lack of new release info? Game companies are releasing less and less information about games and making their demos shorter and shorter, using that old carrot on a stick approrach, trying to create hype for their games. Many hardcore games are falling for it, making blog posts about these demos, each in their own way powering the hype, but I don't know how someone can publish a post about a 3 minute clip of Halo 3. Think that's why E3's now a snoozefest. Sure there are financial reasons, but gaming now makes more money than movies (that is until someone figures out how to burn CDs). And with fans fueling the hype amongst themselves, all the extravagance of past years is not longer neccessary. Don't think I'll be watching next year. I'm still ticked about the booth babes. They're the closest many of these socially inept gamers will come to being with a hot girl. But of any of you out-of-work booth babes need a job, I have several positions for you.

Posted by Leon @ 4:01 PM
Permalink | Audiolink | |
| 8 Comments |
8 Comments:
  • Comment by
    Jamaipanese
    @ 11:15 PM
    body
    I think it was a great show.

    I have received enough information on the half a dozen or so games I am looking forward to plus about a dozen more new ones.

    Nintendo never disappointed but WTF is wiifit...not bashing but it's definitely not for me. the PS3 is finally starting to look attractive and Halo 3 (thats all M$ was showing) has yet to impress me.

  • Comment by
    Ricardo
    @ 5:32 PM
    body
    The show is a shadow of it's former self. And no booth babes!?!?! Unacceptable!

  • Comment by
    Stunner
    @ 10:16 PM
    body
    I am not a big video game fan, maybe it's because I never had one when i was you so I learned to live without it. But I have seen a few booth babes I can take on a few of them!

  • Comment by
    Ri
    @ 2:34 PM
    body
    Just passin thru. Cant comment on the techie stuff too much.

  • Comment by
    Jamaipanese
    @ 4:37 PM
    body
    lol @ no booth babes

  • Comment by
    Maritza
    @ 8:32 PM
    body
    You know I'm a big time gamer and you're so right about the lack of original games lately. Everything seems to be a video game version of the latest movie. quite disappointing.

  • Comment by
    Mad Bull
    @ 5:40 PM
    body
    Wait? Where is Leon? Could the rumour I heard that he is courting Paris Hilton be true? I mean, its got to be something serious for him not to have posted anything since July 13th? Maybe he is busy being Lisa Hanna's campaign manager for the upcoming elections in Jamaica or something?

    Leon? Where are you, bro?

  • Comment by
    bobby
    @ 9:40 PM
    body
    HEY CHECK OUT MSN ADVERT FOR HALO3... HERAD IT BLEW AWAY ALL THE COMPETION... WHAT YOU THINK ABOUT IT?

Post a Comment
<< Home

ABOUT ME
ARCHIVES
RECENT COMMENTS
RECENT READERS
EMAIL SUBSCRIPTION
Get new posts sent directly to your inbox!

LINKS
A FEW GOOD BLOGS
SYNDICATION

BOOKMARKING



BUTTONS






WEBRINGS
< ? cariblogrs # >
? zz ZARDOZZ #
CREDITS






Template translated by Stephen Paul Weber a.k.a. Singpolyma